The MPI-CBG invites applications for the position of
Chief Operating Officer (COO)
The COO oversees day-to-day institute operations and executes the strategic vision of the Board of Directors. The COO thereby provides the optimal operational environment for research at MPI-CBG by coordinating programs, actions, and measures integrated into the institute’s daily operations. The COO advises the Board of Directors and links with the Head of Administration with regards to long-term planning, facilities organization and acquisitions. As such, she/he critically liaises with the central Max Planck Society headquarters. The COO manages the 10 core scientific facilities, anticipating the scientific support needs of the 24 research groups in the institute. The position thus coordinates processes and initiatives that span science and administration. The COO will be a member of the institute’s management team composed of the Managing Director, Deputy Managing Director, COO, Head of Administration and Academic Officer.
We are seeking a highly experienced and strategically savvy leader, with a strong relevant background, exceptional communication skills, and a track record of success.
- For this senior leadership role, we seek individuals holding a university degree in biology, medicine, biophysics or related scientific disciplines (in principle PhD or MD or extensive experience).
- Professional experience in both scientific research and management/administration is required.
- Experience in academic technology transfer is desired.
- High proficiency in spoken and written English and German is necessary.
The full-time position is available immediately. The initial contract is for 2 years with the expectation of prolongation.
- Salary and social benefits will be in accordance with TVÖD Bund (salary agreement for German public service employees) based on qualifications and experience.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all backgrounds to apply.
- As a family-friendly workplace, we offer flexible working conditions and childcare via partnerships with 3 nearby Kindergartens.
- Our dedicated International Office provides support with the relocation process, including visa applications, housing, and other matters for successful candidates and their families.
Please submit your application via our online application system stating Code 2023-COO-5180 via the following link: https://recruitingapp-2443.umantis.com/Vacancies/570/Application/CheckLogin/2?lang=eng
Kindly include the following materials:
- Cover letter explaining your motivation to apply and a brief description of your professional accomplishments
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and email addresses of three references willing to provide a letter of recommendation.
The deadline for applications including references is December 15, 2023.
Please keep the deadline in mind and arrange for referees to send us their (confidential) reference letters directly and in good time via reference-hr(at)mpi-cbg.de.
Inquiries about the position can be sent to the Managing Director Anne Grapin-Botton (managingdirector(at)mpi-cbg.de). Questions regarding the application process, contract, compensation or benefits may be addressed to hr(at)mpi-cbg.de. For further information about the MPI-CBG and the CSBD see www.csbdresden.de, www.mpi-cbg.de.
- The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all backgrounds, regardless of gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, and other components of identity.
- The Max Planck Society specifically aims to increase the proportion of women in the areas in which they are underrepresented. We therefore explicitly invite women to apply.
- The Max Planck Society is further committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
- The Max Planck Society supports the compatibility of family and career and is certified according to the "berufundfamilie" (“job and family”) audit.
- When you submit a job application to MPI-CBG, you are transmitting personal data. Please refer to our privacy notice for information on how we collect and process personal data in accordance with Art. 13 of the Datenschutz-Grundverordnung. By submitting your application you confirm that you have taken note of the information in our privacy notice.